Teton Pass provides some amazing hike and skin accessed
backcountry terrain. Mt. Glory has a very nicely set boot-pack, with just over
1650’ elevation gain and about 45 minutes for most. Those with non-human lung
capacity crush it in 30 minutes, we will see where I stand come April. Been
skiing a lot with Jeff Byl lately, Michigan transplant, co-worker and all
around awesome guy.
We
skied the East Fork of Coal Creek, a westerly aspect with pretty thin snow
and mellow terrain, but nice enough snow I was still able to milk a few faceshots. The luge
track out provides some fun as well. After skiing the upper section, the path
winds along Coal Creek until reaching the trailhead, where you hitch back up.
We got picked up by a 30’ commercial delivery truck, which has to be the
coolest rig I’ve gotten a ride in. Guy drove from Bozeman to deliver two
windows and a door to some construction site. Welcome to Jackson!
View from Teton Pass
Awesome hut at the top of Glory, great for those windy days
Jeff enjoys sub zero temps + wind chill
Looking north up the Teton Range
Had a failed attempt to ski Taylor Mountain yeseterday, where
we had to bail about halfway up the skin on the SE ridge. With a 35° temperature inversion, we
were definitely in the 40s when we called it, and higher elevations would have
been even warmer. Obviously the aspect didn’t help with the warmth, but with
all the high pressure lately, this was the first day with such high temps and that extreme of an inversion. Sadly I think this line will have to wait until
springtime, but I'm super excited to get back to it.
Also, I'm working on getting more action shots! My photography is a work in progress.
Skinning up
More terrain across Highway 22
Jeff really, really likes Alpine Trekkers. Makes me wish I still had mine :)
This skin-track thankfully had some grip, it would be impossible when slick
Looks like you are having some good adventures Erik! I'm pretty jealous about the delivery truck ride (obviously). Loving the pictures!!
ReplyDelete